Parent Resource Center
Curriculum and Instruction
Health & Wellness
September 24, 2023
Dear Parents and Student Athletes,
We want to express our gratitude for your continued support and dedication to the Lackawanna athletic program. We live in an amazing community where Steeler pride and roots run deep. As we embark on another exciting season, we believe it's essential to outline our expectations regarding athlete behavior, parent support, and conduct at both home and away games. These guidelines are designed to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
Expectations for Student Athletes:
1. Sportsmanship: Our student athletes and spectators are expected to display sportsmanship. This includes respect for opponents, officials, coaches, and teammates. We aim to encourage fair play, applaud earnest efforts, and avoid negative behavior.
2. Academic Priorities: Academics come first. Athletes are fully expected to maintain a balanced focus on their studies and sports. Student athletes must meet academic requirements to participate in practices and games. An outline of our Extracurricular Procedures can be found on the Athletic page of the Lackawanna district website.
3. Attendance: Student athletes must be on time for school, attend classes and school to participate in practices and games. A pattern of being late to school, cutting class or excessive absences will result in exclusion of participation in athletic programs. Athletes not attending school 5 of 9 class periods cannot participate in same-day practices or games.
4. Behavior: The “Steeler Way” demonstrates dignity, respect, and integrity on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Take pride in your school, respect yourself and others. Negative behavior will not be tolerated. All athletes are fully expected to adhere to the Lackawanna Extracurricular Procedure and Athletic Code of Conduct.
5. Supervision of Athletes: Athletes must be supervised. Student-Athletes will not linger in the building or on campus before or after practices and games when coaches and/or guardians are not supervising.
6. Supportive Atmosphere: Create a positive and supportive atmosphere at the games. Encourage good sportsmanship and avoid negative comments or behavior. Cheer for all athletes. Positive reinforcement motivates all team members.
7. Respect Officials: Show respect for game officials, regardless of the outcome. Remember that they are human beings who have full-time jobs elsewhere. They are officiating because they are passionate about the sport and are doing their best to ensure a fair game. Please model nothing but the best.
8. Be Present & Enjoy the Moment: Showing up matters. Get involved, celebrate accomplishments, no matter how small. Remember that in the end, it is only a game.
9. Away Events: When attending away games, represent Lackawanna with pride and respect. Follow the host school's rules and guidelines, and always be courteous guests. Your behavior is a direct reflection of our community. How you represent Lackawanna directly impacts how our opponents perceive us. Please put your best foot forward.
10. No Smoking, Vaping, Drugs or Alcohol:
Smoking or Vaping: The CIAA prohibits all smoking and the use of e-cigarettes: Within 100 feet of public or private school grounds. Students will not smoke/vape as a member of a Lackawanna team.
The Use, Possession or Sale of Drugs and/or Alcohol: Illegally using, possessing, or being under the influence of a controlled substance or marijuana, on school property or at a school or school function is illegal in NYS.
Remember, our goal is to foster a positive, respectful, and competitive environment that benefits student athletes, parents, and the community. Your cooperation and adherence to these guidelines will contribute to a successful and enjoyable sports season for everyone involved.
Thank you for your commitment to Lackawanna Athletics. We look forward to a fantastic season filled with growth, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics