Who we serve
The HEART program helps children and youth who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. This includes children and youth who are:
• Sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason.
• Living in motels or campgrounds due to the lack of alternative living accommodations.
• Living in emergency or transitional shelters.
• Abandoned in hospitals.
• Living in places that are not regular sleeping accommodations for people, such as cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations or similar settings.
• Migratory children and youth living in any of the above situations.
What we do
As homeless education liaisons, we:
• Locate and enroll students in the HEART program.
• Coordinate transportation to student's "school of origin."
• Communicate to each school regularly about HEART students currently enrolled in their building and contact teachers and/or school officials about developing issues.
• Serve as a liaison between the school, parents, students and community agencies to meet the educational needs of students.
• Visit school buildings to support students, staff and parents with any issues/concerns.
• Network with other community agencies and programs involved with homelessness to coordinate advocacy efforts and link community services.
• Assist in obtaining educational documents and records.
• Ensure that children and youth, including unaccompanied youth, enroll and have a full and equal opportunity to succeed in school.
• to support and meet the educational needs of students in short-term or temporary housing situations.
• to maintain consistency of the educational process while living in transitional housing.
• ensure the same opportunity to meet high academic standards as all students.
• engage parents, school, and the community as full partners in the educational process of students who are in transitional situations.
If you need assistance with any of the above services or other community resources, please access our Referral List or contact:
District Attendance Teacher/McKinney-Vento Liaison
Phone: 821-5610 ext. 7726
Parent and Family Outreach Coordinator
Phone: 821-5610 ext. 4306
District McKinney-Vento Liaison
Phone: 821-5610 ext. 7745